When starting a business, it is, of course, paramount that the product or service you are offering is in demand, and when you consider that everyone needs clean clothing, a laundry business is certainly a potential winner. Research shows us that despite many homes having their own washing machine, many families do prefer to visit their local launderette to wash and dry their garments, and if you are thinking of getting into the laundry business, here are a few aspects to seriously consider.
- Location is Everything – As you would expect, the location of your launderette is a critical aspect that will determine the level of success you enjoy. The best solution is to drive around and locate all of the launderettes that are already established within a certain radius of your intended base, then by plotting a map, it is possible to see if there are any areas that are not covered.
- Buy or Rent – The premises you plan to use for the launderette could be purchased freehold or leased, and if you are not able to purchase the real estate, then this option is irrelevant. However, if you are able to purchase, you are better off renting for the first year, to be sure that the location is perfect, and if you can lease with an option to buy, so much the better.
- Laundry Machines – Only the best should be considered when looking at commercial laundry equipment, as the machines and dryers will be working constantly. If you take a look at the commercial washing machine from Electrolux Professionals, you can see the quality, and quite frankly, nothing but the best is suitable for a commercial laundry business. When you purchase commercial washing machines from an established supplier, you can also have the professionals carry out essential maintenance, which will ensure that all your machines are always online.
- Marketing – Like any new business, you will have to let people know the launderette is there and open for business. Once you have found a venue, you could put up a ‘coming soon’ sign outside, which will inform many of the locals, plus you should start a page on Facebook in the name of the business and start to post quality content that covers every aspect of garment care. Ideally, you would enlist the help of a leading digital marketing agency, who would put together a marketing plan, and with their ongoing support, your new business will be recognised by the right people.
- Manned Supervision – It is advisable to hire one person who is always at the launderette, and this should be someone with a friendly and outgoing personality who isn’t afraid to lend a hand to customers and generally keep an eye on their clothing as it is being washed. This person would be everything from the manager to the cleaner and this is a key position that should only be given to the right applicant. Indeed, the disposition of this person could be the deciding factor regarding the success of your business.
If you have crunched the numbers and can afford to set up the business, then you have the foundations for a successful enterprise, and with the right location and a lot of hard work, the first launderette could be the start of a successful chain.