In a modern society where different mobile devices, social networks, Internet, online shops, and digital banking occupy our daily lives, it is extremely important to remember of online safety and teach your family and colleagues about basic safety rules. Reading through this helpful guide, you will understand what is online privacy, learn of online behavior ethics, and will get a better understanding of most popular online dangers to look out for. We will help to keep your online business safe and will share some tips concerning online safety for all family members, especially children. Do not underestimate the importance of online safety as the best way to avoid damage is learning how to prevent it!
Understanding Online Privacy
If we would live in an ideal society, the term known as “online privacy” could be equal to our basic understanding of everyday privacy. Unfortunately, privacy in a digital world is not keeping your curtains shut and talking to your doctor behind closed doors. It is also not as much about what you do online, as it is about your personality and who you are. In other words, your information that can identify you and your family members is what has to be kept safe because information can get stolen, collected, and analyzed even without your consent. Even when you download an application, enter your social security number, birthdate online, or give your geolocation away, it can lead to potentially dangerous consequences as even the harmless bits of information can be used by individuals whose intentions are not harmless at all. You might be saying now that you have nothing to hide, but there is no doubt that you would not wish to broadcast your income, medical records details, your birth date or bank account number all over social networks or websites that collect information for the spammers and advertisement agents. Before you learn how to avoid these threats, let me tell you few words about the rules of ethical behavior online that help you to become more responsible and educated in a digital world.
Rules of Ethical Behavior Online
Remember that you always have to remain empathic and caring online no matter whom you may be talking to and what commentary you may be posting on a social network. Empathy is always at the heart of ethics. It helps to develop unbiased attitude and a strong sense of right and wrong. When you are online, it helps you to put yourself in another person’s shoes and avoid clichés or false judgments.
Another important aspect to consider is care for intellectual property and personal responsibility. Remember that the best approach to sharing information online is knowing that every written text, every picture, sound or video is someone’s intellectual property that should be shared with clear understanding of privacy rules, copyrights, and ethics.
Most Popular Online Dangers You Should Avoid
Now let us list the most popular online dangers to look out for, so you can identify and avoid the dangers online.
- Password Vulnerability – always keep your passwords safe and avoid keeping it written down where anyone can access it. A good password should be at least eight characters long. Always use a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. If possible, avoid using full words, names, phone numbers, birth dates, and anything that can easily reveal your personal information. We also advise you to avoid using the same passwords for multiple websites.
- Trojans, Viruses, and Internet Worms – these can be avoided with the help of installed Personal or Business Firewall software, and antiviruses that can vary in terms of price and requirements. Still, the most important task is to always keep careful when downloading and opening unknown files, using USB sticks, and external hard disks. Always make sure that you check every new bit of information with antivirus software before it reaches your computer.
- Phishing, Keylogging, Spyware – this dangerous type of threats relates to fraudulent activity. For example, official looking emails that impersonate banks or well-known companies. The task of such “attacks” is to acquire people’s passwords and personal information. In order to avoid it, one should install firewall software and spyware protection solutions. Always check browsed links for safety and authenticity by contacting your bank by phone or checking with Google for more information.
- Cyber-bullying and Online Harassment – this is a serious crime that, unfortunately, becomes a serious issue in a modern society. Cyber-bullying is the same kind of aggression, insulting, and harassment as it is in daily life with a major difference due to masked identities and a false sense of impunity that online bullies usually have. Do not keep silent if you are a victim of cyber-bullying and do not let things be if you see someone, especially a young person, being attacked online. It is a serious crime and it should be reported. For more information on this particular online threat, make sure to visit: stopbullying.gov
Keeping Your Online Business Safe
A few helpful tips to keep your online business safe! No matter how small or large your online business is, these simple rules will help to keep your information and identity safe.
- Remember of your digital footprint – all that you post and say online is there to stay. Even if you delete the information, it can always be recovered later. Your photos, social network comments, forum registrations, geolocations can easily reveal your personal information and help your business partners and colleagues come to either good or bad conclusions.
- Always back-up your data – it is an often overlooked aspect of online safety. We rely on cloud services, online storages, and social networks, but the key to safety is keeping copies of your information on physical devices that you can access even when you are not online. Always make sure to check your storage devices and back up important information!
- Anti-theft technologies – remember that there are anti-theft applications that can help you track your stolen or lost devices.
- Delete (archive) information that is no longer in use – while a simple solution, it can help keep you safe as even software and old information stored that you no longer use can be uninstalled and keep your online business run smoothly.
One of the most important tasks is to keep your family members safe, especially the youngest who are usually the most active Internet users. In order to keep your family and children safe online, make sure to:
- Monitor your child’s social media activities
- Check on Web Browsing History regularly
- Create a list of blocked and allowed websites
- Use Child Cyber Control Software that has a list of what is to be blocked
- Limit overall Internet use of your family members to avoid social media addiction.
- Be there for your family, be their friend, and be a positive online safety example they can follow!
When You Need an Extra Help
Do not forget that keeping safe online also means staying away from suspicious and dangerous web sites as you look for information to help you when you study and work. As a working parent who studies or a college student, you may often face the need to find particular bits of information or turn for online consulting services in your chosen discipline. You can save your time and get the best out of online tutoring and homework help online by visiting www.homework-lab.com website.
Homework Lab is a safe online tutoring platform that connects students with professional tutors. Keep your computer, family, and online business safe by visiting this reliable and safe website when you need an extra help!
Wishing you best of luck and hope that these helpful tips have will help you to feel safer and more confident online!